The best way to start exercising and achieving a healthy lifestyle is by doing cardio. The exercises are simple and you don’t even need equipment. You should do at least 150 minutes of exercise a week to notice the benefits of cardio workout which are numerous. Here are a few of these benefits:
- It will help you sleep better.
- Can help you lose weight.
- Enjoy better cardiovascular health.
- It will increase your balance and agility which is going to prevent falls.
- You will have a better mood.
- Gain endurance and reduce pain.
- Regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
- You don’t need a gym membership to start working out, just practice at home cardio.
Are you ready to start practicing cardio what does not which type of exercises to do or how to build them into your routine? Don’t worry, the following list will show you the best cardio exercises you can do at home and without equipment.
Jumping jacks are cardiovascular endurance exercises, they combine cardio with resistance training and you can burn around 100 calories in 10 minutes. This exercise will make your heart pump faster and make it work more efficiently. You will also notice improvements in your lung capacity.
They work different muscle groups and you will gain endurance in all of them. They can be a great addition to your workout routine if you are looking to lose fat. Doing jumping jack requires you to learn balance and coordination in order to do it effectively so with the time you will be able to build both skills.
You can do jumping jacks anytime anywhere and anyone can learn how to do them quickly. Just a few tips to do them correctly: do them on a flat surface and wear the proper shoes with shock absorption.
Mountain climbers are an exercise that targets many muscles: abdominals, legs, triceps, and shoulders which makes it a great addition for a full-body workout. They provide the common benefits of aerobic exercise such an increased heart rate, build endurance, and require no equipment or big space to do it but in addition to that, they help to build core strength which is going to improve your balance and stability.
You can adapt the exercise for people of all ages and fitness levels so it doesn’t matter if it seems too difficult for you, you can modify it.
Brisk walking is a style of walking at a faster pace and it is considered better than the standard walking type. It is a fast cardio exercise that helps you lose weight easily and helps you strengthen your immune system.
Brisk walking provides the obvious benefits of cardio exercise such as improving your circulatory system, and heart efficiency, and reduce the risk of losing bone mass. Brisk walking boosts the release of endorphins which are neurotransmitters that will make you feel in a great mood.
If brisk walking seems too easy for you then you should try jogging and increase the intensity of your workout gradually. Jogging is more effective than walking when it comes to weight loss and burning fat. It strengthens the way your body responds to illness and reduces your risk of infection. If you are suffering from insulin resistance you’d be happy to know that jogging can reduce body fat and inflammation, both things which will improve the way your cells respond to insulin.
As it happens with all cardio workouts, it will slow your brain aging and reduce your stress levels. You can do jogging anytime and almost anyone no matter their physical condition can do it.
Burpees are highly popular in the CrossFit world but you can use them for your cardio workout routine as well. They are an intense full-body workout exercise that burns about 50% more calories than other types of exercise and it helps to speed up your metabolism making it easier for you to lose weight.
You can get in shape quickly and they are considered one of the hardest workouts for a reason: because you will become stronger and no other workout or sport will be difficult for you.
If working out seems too boring for you then try an exercise that will make you have fun such as dancing. It makes your heart pump faster just as in any cardio exercise and incorporates all kinds of movements that will help you gain balance and strength. You will get to meet more people and not doing something you love and enjoy will have a better mood and reduce the risk of depression.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Cardio Workout
It doesn’t matter which cardio exercise you choose to follow these to get the most out of it:
- Go slow. Don’t try to be ready for a marathon in a week or push your body out of its limits to prevent any injuries.
- Drink enough water before, during, and after your workout.
- Always stretch prior to your exercise. The benefits of stretching are unlimited and include increasing blood flow to your muscles, improving your flexibility and range of motion, improve your posture, and reduce your stress levels. All of this is going to improve your performance in the workout and reduce the risk of injuries.
- If you are suffering from a medical condition talk to your doctor before starting any exercise.
- Choose a cardio workout that you love, it will make it easier for you to be consistent.
- Practice different types of cardio workout a week, the body easily adapts to cardio so in order to notice results you have to challenge it a little bit.
- Buy quality shoes for your workout, this will help you perform better and reduce the risk of injury.
Are you ready to start working out? Start by practicing cardio and choose one of the exercises listed above. You will notice benefits beyond losing weight — you may feel better and enjoy the incredible physical benefits that come with staying healthy and fit.