You can use the Non-filer Sign-up Tool to claim your stimulus payments and child tax credits if you do not usually file taxes. The IRS website also has a “Get My Payment” feature, so you can check the amount and status of your most recent payment.
Are you also wondering, “Where can I get my stimulus check?” If you missed the first and/or second payment, you might be able to claim them both this year. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has made it possible to get stimulus payments you are eligible for.
The new stimulus check regulations changes who qualifies for the payment. For instance, the IRS looked at taxpayers’ 2018 filings if they had not submitted a 2019 tax return. The new process will only look at 2019 records.
If you did not file a 2019 tax return, you might miss your payment. Even if the IRS sent you the first government stimulus check, the agency might skip you without the filing.
The maximum amount of individuals who file taxes as single and heads of household can receive is:
- $1,200 for the first payment.
- $600 for the second payment.
- $1,400 for the third payment.
Married couples who jointly file taxes together can get:
- $2,400 for the first payment.
- $1,200 for the second payment.
- $2,800 for the third payment.
Legal caretakers and parents must have claimed the child as a dependent on their 2019 and 2020 tax return. For each child, parents of qualifying dependents can claim an additional:
- $500 for the first round.
- $600 for the second round.
Parents could also receive a Child Tax credit of up to:
- $2,000 per qualifying child younger than 17 years old in 2020.
- $3,000 per qualifying child younger than 6 years old in 2021.
- $3,600 per qualifying child younger than 18 years old in 2021.
If you had a child in 2020, the IRS will not automatically send you the additional money. However, you will be able to claim the stimulus payments and credit when you file your 2020 and 2021 taxes or complete the non-filer claim process on the IRS’ website.
The IRS will send your stimulus payment through the same means you received your tax return. Your payment may come:
- Electronically and deposit directly into your bank account.
- By paper check.
- In the form of a debit card.
If you did not receive payment in any form, you might not be eligible. Updated rules reduced the income maximum, so individuals and couples who have high incomes no longer qualify.